Alumni


Having studied theatre at Unley Youth Theatre (now Urban
Myth) while in his youth here in Adelaide, Hugh Sheridan went on to attend the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA) and while still completing his final year, he won his role in Packed to The Rafters.

‘The gifts I received from Urban Myth will be mine for the rest of my life.’
Hugh Sheridan





                                              ************************


“I can honestly say that my biggest and most formative step was joining Urban Myth. More than anything, Urban Myth and its amazing team of artists demonstrated a respect for its young members – our ideas and aspirations. It gave me my training as a tutor, and then my first job in this role; my training as a writer, and then my first commission.
Urban Myth offered tools for articulating the world around us, at an age when that world feels most limitless, and also most daunting. It told us we could be brave with our ideas, and so we were.”



Finegan Kruckemeyer
Finegan has had 52 commissioned plays performed on five continents and was an inaugural recipient of the $160,000 Sidney Myer Creative Fellowship

************************



“Urban Myth is the biggest support to enter the industry I've received. Urban Myth is such an important space for young people to have the opportunity to share experiences with other likeminded people outside a school environment.
Urban Myth exposed me to some of the most inspiring and talented tutors, and several of my social peers from those days have evolved into my professional peers now. Urban Myth is a crucial space for breeding creativity, providing networks, having fun, developing career pathways and exposing young actors and audiences to theatre.”

Edwin Kemp Attrill

Edwin Kemp Attrill is a theatre director and producer. He is the former Artistic Director of the University of Adelaide Theatre Guild (2011-2012) and the founder and inaugural Artistic Director of ActNow Theatre for Social Change (2007-2010).


                                                           ************************


“I signed up for workshops fresh-faced, aimless and overwhelmed. But Urban Myth tutors - professional theatre makers all - guided me. They facilitated meaningful practical experience while teaching me to honour and respect my craft. I soon stopped worrying and got on with the business of becoming an artist. Urban Myth sharpens your aim. It is a perfect pre-training for young theatre makers. My years there were among the best of my life.”
Guy O’Grady
In 2013 Guy was accepted into the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA)


                                                           ************************



“My involvement with Urban Myth has been a constant bolster for my love of theatre and a reinforcement of its value in a community context. I can remember my first workshops, as a wide-eyed ten year old, discovering how exciting acting could be. The atmosphere of encouragement and inclusion was so precious. I came away from each workshop invigorated, knowing that this artistic environment was where I felt most alive.”
Miranda Daughtry
In 2013 Miranda was accepted into the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA)

                                                         ************************

“Urban Myth has been an important part of my life since I began attending classes when I was 13. I continued to participate in workshops, classes, camps and performances at Urban Myth up until my twenties when I was employed as an assistant tutoring for the company.
The confidence and skills that I learnt at Urban Myth are very valuable and have had a large impact on the person I am today. Growing up in and around Urban Myth allowed me to open my mind to creativity and the possibility of devoting my life to the arts.”
Alice Blanch

Alice is an emerging Australian photographer and a recipient of a 2013 Australia Council ArtStart grant.